!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> Open Houses - 2007
Photo Missing

Beaconsfield Road

Beaconsfield Road (after the Earl of Beaconsfield who died in 1881) was one of several new roads formed when the remainder of Patrick Mornane's paddocks was subdivided in 1882. Blocks sold slowly as evidenced by the variety of architectural styles in the area. Beaconsfield Road is the site of the oldest house in the street. Rumour has it that in the 1970's the then owners, who had decided to rebuild, took the rather unconventional step of burning the house down rather than demolish, causing alarm to neighbours.

Over the past 12 months the current owners have transformed the 1970's brick home and its surrounds. Although the internal design of the house has not been significantly altered, the kitchen, laundry and bathroom areas have been gutted and remodeled. The laundry was moved from the back of the house, opening up the rumpus area to the pool and entertainment area, and relocated behind the kitchen alongside a new home office.

Dedicated cooks will love the sleek new wide kitchen into which an imported Italian kitchen has been installed. Some of the many features are stainless steel benches which incorporate a cooktop, long Corian island bench, European appliances (including inbuilt steamer), integrated refrigerators and wine cellar. Air-conditioning and speakers have been fitted discreetly into the kitchen and also the rumpus area.

A number of changes have been made throughout the whole house to give a contemporary feel. Door heights have been raised, architraves and cornices removed and downlights installed. Many windows have been replaced including in the rumpus, kitchen and lounge room where louvered windows are now a feature. Chain controlled espresso colored roller blinds, which still allow views through, are an attractive yet effective window dressing. In the kitchen and rumpus area the flooring is now tallywood timber. Carpet in a chocolate tone has been laid in the remainder of the house.

On the staircase, a turned timber handrail has been removed and replaced with floor to ceiling timber panels and stainless steel handrail on the wall. There is even a new front door with copper plated finish.

Outside, the pool area has been repaved and refenced and the pool itself has been retiled. New decking extends down the side of the house and features a dry rock wall of Castlemaine rock. The whole garden has been landscaped and feature lighting installed. The sound system extends outdoors with speakers fitted under the eaves. The exterior of the house has been rendered using two different colours to great effect.


These notes have been prepared with the kind assistance of the owners.