Photo Missing

Fairmount Road, East Hawthorn

Fairmount Road was part of the 'Stonyhurst Estate' containing 37 lots with two homesteads. 'Fairmount' the older of the two homesteads is thought to be the work of a French engineer and was featured in the Hawthorn Heritage Study as a keynote Garden villa. It belonged to John Tankard in the 1860's, then Francis Jenkins in 1874 and was once known as 'Aidaville'. It sold as 'Fairmount House' in 1925.

Set back on the south of the street this recently renovated homestead-style home facing Auburn Road incorporated an impressive circular rose garden on the block to the west of the property.

Reminiscent of many early Australian homes built in this style it features a shaded timber verandah and a striking timber door with a single sidelight. The classical main bedroom with impressive walk-in wardrobe and bathroom flanks a wide central hall, featuring stunning Italian lights, moulded timber skirtings and a decorative arch. The ensuite bathroom's walls are lined with glass instead of standard tiles and semi-polished porcelain tiles are used on the floor.

On the other side of the hall, the home-theatre is richly decorated in tones of milk chocolate, from the walls to the Lumiere drapes. Also featured in both the front rooms are original projecting bay windows with leadlight.

The 'billiard room green' study/home office with open fireplace and plenty of shelving and cupboards completes the front section of the house. During the war years the house was divided into three separate dwellings and when the current owners bought the property it contained two dwellings, outbuildings and an abundance of doors, so much so, some referred to it as the "House of Doors".

The renovation process involved taking the house back to the original structure and redesigning the rear section to enable relaxed family living in ultimate luxury. The modern kitchen, with stainless steel bench tops, has adopted a scullery design that would have been popular in the late 1800's. An island bench in white marble creates a central showpiece, as does the built in French style dresser with glass doors concealing the kitchen work areas. Next to the kitchen, a staircase leads down to a large brick cellar, which has been integrated as part of the kitchen and entertaining area.

The family room with wall-hung plasma, flat screen television is built within the existing walls and the elegant arch was the 'find' of the project. The long dining table commands great views through large windows and doors to the outside entertaining area, tennis court and pool. The high gloss floorboards are recycled East Gippsland timber and the walls are painted in a clean and crisp shade of white.

The house was fully wired as a 'smart' home incorporating programmable lighting, touch screen control and 'state of the art' audiovisual including the quality home theatre. It also features computer/telephone/broadband in every room, automated blinds and fully integrated security/communications.

An entire new section has been added at the northern end of the block and has been cleverly built over the garage. This comprises four generous bedrooms with built- in robes, two bathrooms and a loft providing a fun area for the children to relax and enjoy their favourite games and shows. White shutters cover the windows and skylights effectively lighten up the area. Extensive external renovations created a brand new tennis court and swimming pool. Outside areas at the rear are paved in SA bluestone and the gardens follow simple lines with plantings of conifers and oranges.

The owner's mini parterre garden on the northern edge shows her love of citrus and fruit trees with apples, nectarines, basil, limes and lemons. The exterior colour is a specially mixed Porters paint that sets off the design of the house superbly. The fence is made of ripple iron with Angelina capitals in keeping with the traditional design of the property.