Photo Missing

Lyall Street

Lyall Street, a 'fine weather board' (to quote local historian Gwen McWilliam), was built in 1886 and appears to have been the first house built in the street. Lyall Street was formed in 1885, following the division of 'Hepburn Hill' of which Lyall Street was the west boundary. Homes built on the east side of Lyall Street would have originally faced the orchard and tennis court of 'The Terricks' which was not divided until some time later.

No 13 was built for John Bellett. The Belletts were a pioneer family in Hawthorn. James Bellett had a market garden and dairy in Kooyongkoot and ran a hay and corn store and green grocers on Burwood Road in the 1860's. Later John Bellett ran a fruiterer and then dairy on the south side of Burwood Road close to the intersection with Glenferrie Road. The Belletts went on to build a larger brick house at no.15 Lyall Street in 1896.

The land slopes down to the eastern side of Lyall Street and several steps are required up to the house. A feature of the house is the beautiful 3 sided verandah. Rooms at the rear of the house open to the verandah bringing light and air to the house and views through the green of the shrubs and trees in the garden above street level. The verandah has lace ironwork at the top and bottom. The two front windows of the house off the verandah have a 'barley sugar' trim.

Around the front door is the original stained glass. The glass is apparently the same as in no 15 consistent with it having been built by the same family.

Two rooms on the left of the hall have had the walls removed either side of the fireplace to give a larger area. The owners, who have only very recently acquired the property, propose to restore these rooms to their original configuration. The second room opens to the verandah.

Along the right side of the hall are 3 bedrooms featuring original ceiling roses, cornices and fireplaces as do the other 2 smaller rooms the other side of the hall. The original bluestone hearths are still intact although now concealed. The master bedoom has a door leading to the verandah and an ensuite has been added.

Further down on the left of the hall a passageway has been created leading to a family bathroom to one side and a study which opens to the verandah.

The house has been extended at the rear to add a light filled kitchen and meals area with laundry to one side, in addition to the ensuite mentioned above. A door from the carport on the north side enables easy access to the kitchen to unload groceries. French doors from the meals area lead to the backyard designed for a family and including a pool, shed, cubby and grassy play area.